Thursday, November 27, 2014

Low stake tournament strategy

I play in two low stake MTT's weekly. Both are five dollar buy-in with $4 rebuys up to an hour before the tournaments end.

It's difficult to bluff effectively in these tourneys. Once in a while you can do it, but because it is low stakes, even pushing all-in is likely to be met by several callers and of course something like a 4 times blinds raise is likely to be called by everyone.

Bluffing becomes a little more possible after buy-ins end, but there is still the mater of low stakes to contend with: because it is small money, there are almost always callers even then.

My strategy for these games has been to play tight, avoid rebuys and then push hard in the last half hour. That works somewhat and I am ahead overall, but not by much.

Other players don't seem to mind two or three rebuys. Of course that affects their overall profit, but I wonder whether it matters long term. Do they win more often because they are playing more loosely and risking rebuys?

I'm going to pick two players and see if I can remember to track them over a few months to see how they do.  Should be interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment